Now that the military has ditched the back breaking full sit up lot’s what now questions have popped up.
- The abs are designed to create torso rigidity and stability, flexion is only one of their jobs.
- The abs should be working with all movements, this is why we stand to or kneel to exercise; rarely do we sit.
- The abs should help to protect the back not hurt it. Sit ups and back extensions damage the lumbar disks.
- The exercises below are just a few of the ab exercises I personally do and like.
- A crunch is a small VERTICAL movement where the sternum raises to the sky, the neck is inline with the body and the shoulders are back. If done right there should always be slight space in the lower back. These are safe to do.